[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 12:46:53 PST 2019

Happy new year to all, especially to all us happy pigs born in a pig year.

Yes, "absurd" is too strong: it is possible to construct a context in which
"I think" isn't a grammatical metaphor for "may", "should", or "it is
possible". But of course the whole post was a semantic metaphor for James'
statement that you cannot study language objectively and use it at the same
time.

And semantics is the weak point of Saussure. The problem is that there
isn't anything "arbitraire" or conventional about semantics: to say that
semantics is arbitrary is essentially to say that thinking is arbitrary:
that there is no rational reason why we think of time as tense and entity
as number. It's not just that we can't think any other way; it's that we
have to grow crops and teach children in real time, and we have to gather
food and cook it in real numbers.

Language is arbitrary (i.e. "subjective") at only one point: phonetics. But
even with phonetics (paradoxically the easiest to measure objectively) you
have to deal with the fact that humans make a finite number of sounds, and
 only a small subset of these are maximally distinguishable at a distance.
That's why (another paradox) at the very time that Saussure was developing
a purely idealist, subjectivist study of language, teachers were creating
the international phonetic alphabet we still use today. It's a menu, and
menus suggest some element of choice. But choices can be constrained, and
contraints are always motivated.

Having twelve months and three hundred and sixty five days a year only
seems "arbitrary" when you are not a farmer.If you were born in the pig
year (as I was) this is a particularly auspicious year, particularly if you
are completing your fifth complete cycle of twelve years (as I am). But the
reason why five cycles of twelve years is considered particularly
auspicious is no more arbitrary than the choice of the pig to name the
year: it's a likespan of sixty years, which in Confucian times was
considered just about ideal.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New in *Language and Literature*, co-authored with Fang Li:
Mountains in labour: Eliot’s ‘Atrocities’ and Woolf’s
alternatives
Show all authors

https://doi.org/10.1177/0963947018805660