[Xmca-l] Re: Vale Colin Barker

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 02:24:54 PST 2019

I am very sorry to hear this.  Colin put on a small (50-80 people) but very good conference. We attended and participated  twice, maybe three times, and found it a wonderful venue for senior academics  to mix with graduate students who were making presentations of their own research.  I remember presentations from Ireland, Netherlands, Greece, Germany, Norway as well as from the UK and the US. The content of these presentations was always progressive and international and a little bit “out there". He and his wife Ewa would host a big dinner for many of us at their home at the end of the conference. He was a generous organizer, a very adept critic and teacher, and a good writer.  I remember a very clear critique he made of Activity Theory a few years ago.  Something else he wrote was just uploaded to Academia the other day; I had not read it yet.

Helena

helenaworthen@gmail.com <mailto:helenaworthen@gmail.com>
phone inVietnam:  +84 0784-483-721
helena.worthen1