[Xmca-l] Re: The ethics of artificial intelligence, past present and future

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sat Dec 21 21:03:49 PST 2019

Hi Ed,

Regarding Dreyfus, I don't recall him asserting the matter of mind or not, though it's been almost 10 years since I read the book.

I am compelled to say that minds are material in the same way that stories are material.

Consider a few analogies.

The book is material, the words are printed ink on the paper of the pages, but without the book present the story will not manifest in the mind of a reader (as long as the book is written in the same language as the reader). Is the story not material if it is located in this book and not in that one? Also the story can exist outside the book, in the memories of a person, but the person is also material.

The light in an electrical light bulb is there when the electricity passes through the filament, and not when the electricity is not there. We know thanks to Einstein that light is energetic material that travels really fast. The filament is gross material, the electricity is subtle as is the light, but the three are material.

I assert that a mind too is subtle energy passing through a brain, which is a conglomerate of neuronal connections of grey matter.

I see the physical and transactional world as material of infinitely different graded properties, subtle to gross, in different combinations of active qualities. In the same way the story resides in the book and the light resides, or emanates, from the light bulb the subtle permeates the gross.

A more perfect illustration is the red hot iron ball. Iron and fire are in the same location, one is gross the other subtle. But both are material. What can happen however is if we do not know the properties of iron (heavy and round) or fire (red and hot) we can superimpose one element upon the other (i.e., assert that fire is heavy and round, while iron is hot and red) and this is easy to do because they are present in the same location perceptually; we cannot remove the iron from the fire or vice versa. (though it is possible if you are a blacksmith you can purge the iron in water, extinguishing the flame, I suppose, but you get my point, I hope.)

With this in mind, is it possible to also assert that ethics is also a material entity? Whereby ethical conduct is that which possesses the most truth for the most harmony for the largest part of society while also holding the same for the individual.

Can ethical conduct have universal laws like physics? If so, it might be an attainable goal to create the ethical algorithm. Yet, the weirdness enters when considering whether it is ethical to train computer to learn and improve an algorithm until it is "perfectly ethical", if what it needs to do to get there is to fail several times before it can actually become perfect. How many failures should there be before it's not ethical to continue training the computer?

I would say it's not ethical to do that, if it means for example surveilling a population with face recognition technology until it is able to perfectly identify a criminal from his or her doppelganger. There will always be the risk of accusing an innocent person, which is not ethical.

Algorithms usually don't take into consideration context. I recall Rosenblatt's work on perceptrons were a way to create context by computers learning about contexts (by sensing). That actually might safer than constructing algorithms.

You have to wonder what computers would be like now if Rosenblatt had been able to pursue his work unfettered by Minsky and others from MIT back then.

Academic freedom must be protected. On that I hope we can agree!

Kind regards,

Annalisa