[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic / Extrinsic Motivation

Lara Beaty larabeaty@gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 09:24:40 PDT 2019

Greg,

Doing justice to their stories and being in a place to tell them well is part of what holds me back. Which versions of their stories do I tell? Interestingly, I was just speaking with Carrie Lobman about similar ideas for the classroom (an advantage of being in NYC) and am trying to organize to have her to come to my college. I take your advice to heart.

Best,
Lara

> On Aug 27, 2019, at 12:00 PM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Lara,
>
> Your note was truly heartbreaking. From the students who are afraid to connect or care to the student who attended lab meetings for the sense of community but then was hit by a car and died (and particularly poignant given the Beattie quote at the end).
>
> But heartbreaking as it was, I think these are stories that need to be told - perhaps even more so than the research proper that you are doing (with no disrespect intended toward your research). I suspect that you could tell us a lot more about each of these students (and perhaps there are some that you might not be able to say so much about but that may be very telling in itself). So why not find a way to tell these stories? There are lots of academic outlets that would accept this kind of qualitative/descriptive/narrative detail without worrying about the theory of things. Chronicle of Higher Ed would seem a natural place to get a conversation going about students' experiences at community colleges. And, of course there are non-academic outlets since you'll easily get ten times the readership.
>
> Regarding the issues that you raise, one humble suggestion from far away (the worst place from which to make suggestions), I wonder if, for some at least, a Holzman-ian or similar approach might be useful? (apologies for leaving out Fred Newman and others by naming it as such). I wonder if rather than asking them to communicate in the language of the classroom, allow them to communicate artistically. And if not in on-stage performance, then in poetry or prose or painting or sculpture. Anything to get them out of that jail cell of academic language of the classroom and which makes so many so mute.
>
> [And just to be clear, I understand that there are no magic bullets and the assumptions that I have that lie behind this suggestion are probably at least 60% wrong. I also appreciate the basic sociocultural insight that these challenges are intractable problems that have more to do with the world that your students live in than with the students themselves in any psychologistic/individualistic sense. So, as they say, ...with a grain of salt.]
>
> In sympathy and sadness,
> greg
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:57 AM Lara Beaty <larabeaty@gmail.com <mailto:larabeaty@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Thank you for the references!

> [...]
Men, poor weak creatures, have not the courage to pay for their sins themselves: they place them upon one who is sinless.
-Nikos Kazantzakis