[Xmca-l] Re: Burning...

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Fri Aug 23 18:17:05 PDT 2019

I think that once we have grasped the simple fact hat we
live in a capitalist world, and that there is a hellovalot
that has to happen between now and a situation where we
don't live in a capitalist world, we need to think about how
to understand and change our situation ...

Rather than the truism that the object of all government and
economic activity in the world is capitalist accumulation, I
think we should recognise the truth put forward by the
Regulation Theorists, which agrees with Activity Theory --
government and economic activity can be conceived of as a
number of independent, interconnected *activities*
(projects) like business management, trade, wage
determination, distribution, price determination, a finance
system, as well as environmental protection,  taxation,
legislative, judicial, political and policing systems -
every one of which is culturally variable and is within the
grasp of governments and an organisation people to challenge
and change.

The destruction of the amazon forests and their crucial role
in maintenance of everyone's atmosphere and the world's
biological and cultural resources is a real problem. I don't
know the answer. But we can't solve by starting with the
largest possible generalisation.

Units of analysis comrades.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*