[Xmca-l] Re: The Mindset.

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 05:56:48 PDT 2019

Harshard,

I have skimmed through your document. You might want to compare your
conception with Vygotsky's conception of a "zone of proximal development"
found in the volume thinking and speech, p.209 in the 1987 plenum press
edition, or the 170th page marked as page 208 in this pdf link:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/words/Thinking-and-Speech.pdf

It might also be beneficial to distinguish, carefully, what is meant by a
skill or ability in the context of a circumstance where it is misapplied,
for example, to distinguish genuine understanding and construal
(appropriate orientation).

My prior points still stand in relation to my interpretation of your
questions and descriptions.

Your binary predicate is "in a wild life system". What is a wild life
system and why is this necessary in the context of a developmental study?
Is an ant nest along with its recognised material needs, transported to a
laboratory, a "wild" system? Is a dolphin in a large pool? Is an octopus
with a camera? Is any creature with anything novel?

With respect to your binary question about whether animals do or do not
have a "mindset", this is predicated upon your definition. If your
definition is based upon intention, then the answer is yes. If your
definition isn't based upon intention, I would probably question your
conception more, i.e. the genesis of "mindset". It is necessary to realise
that this is a developmental (genetic) answer to your question.

Best,
Huw