[Xmca-l] Re: From Thinking to Speech

Haydi Zulfei haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
Sat Apr 27 00:04:58 PDT 2019

    On Saturday, April 27, 2019, 5:43:30 AM GMT+4:30, Avram Rips <arips@optonline.net> wrote:

 Thank you very similar words. I'll look it up.

Sent from my iPhone
On Apr 26, 2019, at 5:37 PM, David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com> wrote:

Helen--
In 2015, my brother and I sold my mother's flat in London and moved her into Lord Wandsworth's Home for Distressed Jewry in Clapham (which was originally set up as penance for Lord Wandworth abandoning the faith of his fathers, but which n caters to Jews who are mostly quite undistressed, including my mum). I made a very thorough search of her papers and could find no trace of the onion-skin on which she'd typed the science fiction novel, or for that matter of the studies on Robin Dunbar, Alison Wray, and the origins of language. There was also nothing of her long studies of the effect of textiles as an industrialization strategy for poor countries that she was doing when she visited me in China. Dorothy was a perfectionist, and she had that Victorian habit of burning papers every decade or so.
But I can tell you this much--she never laid stuff out from the get-go. For example, when she sat down to write "Ada", she knew perfectly well what her endpoint would be and how unpopular it would make her. The first line is this:
"Nothing in Lady Byron's life became her like the leaving of her marriage."
When we were sitting shiva for Dorothy, I read that passage, and one of her neighbors remarked that although it had nothing to do with computer science, it had a certain Austenian savour to it (and in fact I remember she crafted it along the lines of the opening of "Northanger Abbey").
Avram--
A mitzvah is a blessed ACTION, and it lies on the "environment" end of the pole that connects the subject to the social environment. I had in mind a blessed THOUGHT, which lies on the "subject" end of the same pole "מצפה" .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizpah_(emotional_bond)
The Hebrew word originally meant "watchtower", but it's a proper noun and a verb too, and it means a convenant or a concern or "to watch over", as when Laban and Jacob come to an agreement (yes, Laban breaks it, but only because he is overconcerned for his family).

城闕輔三秦,

風煙望五津。

與君離別意,

同是宦游人。

海內存知己,

天涯若比鄰。

無為在歧路,

兒女共沾巾

Which means (James will tell me if I got this right...):

"These watchtowers are those of the three lands of Qin" (i.e. Shaanxi, then the imperial heartland--DK)

"I make out the land of five crossings" (i.e. Sichuan, then a remote area to which dissident intellectuals were sent--DK)

"With you I part and with my own feelings" (i.e. to leave you is to leave part of myself, but it is also to "over-live" the grief of parting--DK)

"We are both officials who must live far from home" (i.e. we are both dissident intellectuals going into exile but not together--DK)

"Yet when there are those who understand us

"Though faraway as the four corners of the earth they are neighbors

"Why should we, when we reach the fork in the road

Soak our handkerchiefs like children and women?"
(The story is that Wang Bo, after writing these lines, went to attend his father's funeral in Vietnam, and his ship overturned, drowning him. But school children still recite this poem in China, and the line about "the four corners of the earth" is a kind of byword for far-flung covenants like xmca...)

David KelloggSangmyung University

New Article: Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in understanding narratives byKorean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
Some e-prints available at:https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663