[Xmca-l] Re: From Thinking to Speech

Goncu, Artin goncu@uic.edu
Thu Apr 25 16:20:05 PDT 2019

Dear David,

I just learned about the loss of your mother.  I wish you strength and patience.  With warm regards, ag

Artin Goncu, Ph.D
Professor, Emeritus
University of Illinois at Chicago
www.artingoncu.com/

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 2:43 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: From Thinking to Speech

Thanks to all who expressed condolences, and especially to all who expressed curiosity about my mother's work.

 I have a very early memory of my father explaining death to me, from a physicist's point of view (i.e. thermodynamically--one of the first papers he wrote with my mother had to do with the commonalities between entropy of information and entropy of energy). When I was writing yesterday it seemed to me that I was around three years old when it happened, but now it occurs to me that I must have been seven, as it had to do with the suicide of a colleague of my mother's, whose child I used to play with in elementary school.

SON: So when we die, we go to heaven and live there forever, like astronauts who can't come home?
FATHER: When we die we just become part of something else.
SON: What do we become part of?
FATHER: The earth.
SON: And what happens when the earth dies?
FATHER: We become part of the sun.
SON: And what happens when the sun dies?
FATHER: What's left of the sun and the earth and us--we all go out into space together.
SON: So we do go to heaven and live forever!
FATHER: Yes, we go to heaven forever. No, we don't live there.

Dad is still writing papers on what we can find out about the interstellar medium--our future home!--from the dust that pings on the surface of spacecraft. But to me it still doesn't explain the real mystery. To me, the metamorphosis of my mother from the warm, living, breathing body I came out of sixty years ago into a bag of ashes I scatter into the Thames still does not seem quite as hard to understand as her metamorphosis from the author of "Ada: A life and a legacy" into a person who could only repeat the last three words she heard. (As Vygotsky said that Lenin said: the leap from feeling to thinking is as large--or even larger--than the leap from non-sentience to sentience...)

During the twelve years of my mother's double reverse leap into non-sentience, Mike pointed out to me more than once that from a cultural-historical as well as from the linguistic point of view, the subjects of every funeral are the mourners: the "mizpah", in this case the continuing inquiry, is always what is left behind, even if it is just one footprint in indelible ink.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article:
Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in understanding narratives by
Korean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

Some e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663