[Xmca-l] Re: Units, utterances, elements and systems

Haydi Zulfei haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 17 05:12:00 PDT 2019

Deal all,

The content of the article Helena sent and the conclusionthey presented to us based on it are very helpful.

It sounds very naturalthat I quite agree with the explication Martin offered concerning my statementof the fluidity of the word especially when we stretch the content of thisexplication to his prior statement concerning how knowledge is arisen andcreated.

But with the fullrespect I’ve always rendered towards Andy , I usually get confused with hisdiverse nuances in discussion. If it’s my defect , that’s something.

Both Martin and I wereopposing him with his fixity of a word for a concept.

And then and now heoffers lots of justification:

Just two paragraphsverbatim:

[Yes, all true,Martin, but in my view in saying that a word is a sign for a concept, the real or imagined entity which is deemed to be a instance of theconcept is a moment of the concept, as are the practices whereby thoseinstances are subsumed under the universal. I should have made that clear.]

[That is the point:the unit is a concept of the whole (a kind oflanguage game, in this case perhaps).
So a word could be an utterance (e.g. "No!"), but"word" is a different concept from "utterance." And"word" is a very problematic concept. "Word-meaning" on theother hand is not problematic, because in "word-meaning""word" simply means the sound which is the tool for the act ofmeaning - it could be a phrase or a single word. Word-meaning or utterance, thedifference is conceptual, not the number of sounds, etc.]

Not intending toinvest in people’s differences of opinion , Martin was firstly clear withconcepts as arising from real circumstances secondly that they saw REAL or IMAGINED*ENTITIES* within the independent  realmof sciences.

Now that Andy wants toimprovise his prior saying to the effect that *a word is NOT necessarily a signfor a concept* again they get us into the trap of fatefully taking entities asinstances of concepts. If they had finished their statement here , we wouldhave been in fairly good position to say : Bravo Andy this is what Hegel reallybelieves. But alas the very accepted idea again turns on its heel to showitself this time as *a moment of the concept*. While Andy is full Hegelian ,therefore he should know that we cannot uplift a word to the rank of a conceptunless we have passed the necessary procedures of taking a primary partial ideaas thesis , the antagonist idea as antithesis and the resolved contradiction inthe form of the synthesis , which in that case we would have reached a trueconcept which is a universal whole which for Hegel seems to be CONCRETE –not concretein reality on earth but in thought- they take entities once as concepts once asmoments of concepts.

Yet they are notfinished with the discussion. This time , they take *practices* in parallelwith the entities as concepts or moments. Whereas we know concepts are ideas ,how can we take *practices* as ideas?

What’s the riddlereally? I think It lies in equalizing Hegel with Marx. Or taking each time onefor the other.

That’s to be aHegelian Marxist and that’s when %80 of the names in Marxists.Org becomeMarxists (Tons of thanks for the enormous toil and suffering spent on that hugeproject).

Yet there are manynumerous books even from the time of the Soviet Union which in their researchesaim industriously and perseveringly at following , adapting , interfacing andlaunching Hegel’s Logic over and upon the structure of the Magnum Opus ,Capital just head overturned on feet (admittance on preface to the secondedition of the first volume). One very old : Mark Moiseevich Rosenthal’s “Dialecticsof the Marx’s Capital”. Contradictions , quantity to quality conversion ,struggle of the opposites , etc.etc.

That’s not the case aresearcher just starts with a *unit*. Then one lets things go of themselvesuntil they reach somewhere they can dub it a *whole*. Nay! Taking a unitnecessitates already having taken or foreseen a *whole* ; it’s the requirementsof that whole which imposes a corresponding *unit* upon you.

And it’s Marx whoinstead of taking a partial idea for a thing (a commodity) , an entity in thereal world on earth then as point of departure in the process , manipulateswith it in spiral material practices until he reaches an abstract universal , aconcept , what is concrete for Hegel because one magnifies the IDEA the otherthe OBJECTIVE REALITY. What is the end for Hegel is the beginning for Marx ,ascent from the abstract to the concrete. Smith , Ricardo , Say , Bastia ,Sysmondi , Mill , cultivated in the Land of Capital ; it worked until thecontradictions appeared , Marx began with their generalities , concepts , tookthem into the earth circumstances , promoted prior concepts , reached the variegatedWHOLE , the CAPITAL. And since that time the World have not got tired of stillfinding it true or false within circumstantial conditions.

I think if Vygotsky’ssubjects had succeeded in resolving the contradictions , they would have reacheda conceptual whole with the right block having passed procedures which showedthemselves in ? , complexes , quasi-concepts , etc. each corresponding to theparticular queues or piles before everybody’s eyes in the light of the day.

I apologize for somany details. But now enough. I continue running over this for myself in mealsand portions.

Very Best Wishes

Haydi