[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 14:14:39 PDT 2019

So the real source of this realist attempt to do away with linguistics is
Bakhtin. Bakhtin it was who argued that the sentence is a fiction, and that
the real, actual, factual unit for understanding text is the utterance. And
the utterance is defined by the changing of speech subjects. So the
utterance is the stretch of speaking from one change of speaking subjects
to another. All this is real, actual, factual (i.e. perceptible with
feline. canine, infant and foreign hears; as the Russians would say, an
effect of rech' [speech] and not jazik [language]).The utterance is a unit
of speech (the real, actual, factual set of things people have uttered),
but the sentence is only a unit of language (the abstract, imaginary system
of virtual and potential utterances). This is all in "The Problem of Speech
Genres" ("Speech Genres and Other Late Essays", U of Texas Press 1986, p.
71).

Martin's example (which is an invented one, as we can see from the sudden
change of venue from South Korea to Thailand) manages to confuse things a
very great deal. First, he uses "turn" to mean sentence, and "utterance" to
mean "turn". In CA, which goes for radical empiricism and ontological
realism, a turn is pretty much what Bakhtin says it is: it's the stretch of
speaking we find from one change of speaking subjects to another. It's not
a sentence, and in some data sets less than 11% of the data consists
of grammatical sentences. By this standard, there are exactly three turns
in Martin's invented dialogue, and the last turn consists of two somethings.

That "something" is the problem. Bakhtin and CA try to get around this
problem by saying that there is a virtual change of speakers (Bakhtin) or a
potential change of speaker (CA) after the question mark. But that doesn't
explain the question mark itself, or the peculiar order of elements we find
in the question as opposted to the statement, or the peculiar fact that we
find the verb before the subject in "Is it Chiang Mai" but the verb after
the subject in "Who knows...".

The real name of this mysterious "something," the real unit of speech
communication, is not the "word", unless we assume that Vygotsky meant (as
Russian allows) the expansive meaning of word (i.e. "In the beginning was
the word; the word was made flesh; in a word; the last word on this
question'"). The real unit is the wording: the clause. Clauses can be minor
("Hey! Martin!") or they can be elliptical ("You mean...") or they can be
major clauses like all the examples Martin has invented. But clauses exist,
even though you need to know the language to recognize them (hence
languages too must exist, despite what Roy Harris and the integrationalists
claim). Clauses are just as distinct from the utterances and turns that
compose them as cities are from the heaps of brick and mortar that we find
before cities are built and after they have been destroyed.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article:
Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in
understanding narratives by
Korean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

Some e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663