[Xmca-l] Re: Repair in inner speech

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 18:10:36 PDT 2019

Yes, Henry. But I don't think you have caught my point about not needing to
correct a placeholder if no-one is questioning the meaning attributed to it.

Personally, I am not convinced that the classification is useful beyond
pointing to different appearances. If one thinks of inner-speech as a hand
that manifests as a glove, then it is simple enough to see that it can
manifest in any kind of glove -- spoken, mathematical, action-image, etc.
Similarly it can then be considered to manifest within different degrees of
formality depending upon the needs of the situation.

The speech as the progenitor of thought argument merely seems to me to be a
preoccupation for people who find themselves thinking that way. Contrary to
that, speech and written language is extremely unwieldy when it comes to
conveying anything complex.

Cheerio,
Huw