[Xmca-l] Re: Trying to frame studies of the web through perezhivanie

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Wed Sep 26 06:53:42 PDT 2018

Hi Ed,

This is a kind of interesting topic, including from a cultural perspective. My knowledge on this is relatively superficial.  Bruce Robinson made a really good point to me – also in your message – that analog computers were better for things like differential equations and more pure mathematic stuff (I think).  But that when it came to information processing digital was far superior.  My thinking though from the cultural perspective is that analog thinking is more representative of the way humans actually think, at least the way I believe they think. The big argument I have with information processing is that the argument is that the way the computer works (mostly software) is isomorphic to the human mind. But I wonder how much of the direction our society has gone in the last thirty years, with the timed testing using multiple choice questions, if we are attempting to make the human mind isomorphic to the computer.  As a friend who has worked at IBM for a lot of years told me recently, they are beginning to wonder if the computer is not training the human. I had wondered if we had gone the analog route (and right now I think I’m agreeing with Bruce, but I change quickly) if we might have gone in another direction, a more pure human-computer symbiosis.  Just rambling on a Tuesday morning.

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Edward Wall
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:11 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Trying to frame studies of the web through perezhivanie

Michael

     I don’t know if my comments are germane to your discussion of digital and analog, but I was involved in the 60s towards the tail end of the ‘competition'. Your reading makes sense to me; however from where I was sitting there were some nuances. In those years there were, in effect,  two kinds of computing using ‘computers’: information processing and scientific computing. Both of these had an analog history stretching far back. Information processing was, in a sense, initially mechanical, a mechanical that became driven by electronics and eventually with the advent of various graphic devices (I include printers of various kinds) became what we see today. The situation with scientific computing was a little different as it has even a richer analog history. Initially, electronic analog devices had the upper hand because they could, in effect, operate in real time. However, as the digital devices became faster and faster, it became possible to, in effect, simulate an analog device on a digital machine and pragmatically the simulation was “good enough.” Thus for, in a sense, economic reasons digital ‘computers’ won the ‘battle.’ In a way the evolution is reminiscent of that of audio reproduction or using mathematics to model physical reality; it is amazingly effective.  The battle, by the way, is still going on. If I tell the Amazon Alexa to play music a little louder, the increase is done in a digital fashion. If I turn the volume control on one of the original versionsit is done in an analog fashion. So I think you are right, the digital path doesn’t completely reproduce the analog path.

Ed