[Xmca-l] Re: Trying to frame studies of the web through perezhivanie

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 02:04:20 PDT 2018

Some notes from my browse through, Greg:

1. An elaboration of what "checkout" pertains to would be useful. I
understand this to be a process akin to withdrawing a book from a library,
but in this case it concerns "withdrawing" a domain, with a play on
"checkout" as "come and see".
2. Presently I do not see any elaboration upon the collaborative audience,
nature of participation or any particular focus. E.g. are you taking the
notion of "checking out" literally, as per file control, in which people
can add to "domains" and then "return" them?
3. It seems to me more attention needs to be given to the motives of your
audience.
4. Contrary to an open-canvas medium, a more focused study on, say, the
deliberate production of fake news might be more rewarding, i.e. applying
some theory about learning processes in particular contexts upfront to
design a particular project. As it stands there is no agreed project, not
even an ostensible one. I assume the idea is that the subscribers come up
with their own. But this puts into question the real substance of
participation and the basis for developmental processes/experiences.

Offering some correction to Andy's distinction of digital and analog,
analog computation entails "circuitry" that may not involve any electronics
at all, and it need not be an abstraction either (other than the sense of
nested wholes). One can attend to the analog within the digital if one
wishes (such as the micro changes of current in a circuit). The deeper view
on digital is to understand it as a distinction (when it is accompanied by
its context) or (without its context) merely a label. Hence the whole
problem with so many social studies that only focus upon words and text (so
called qualitative) rather than action. These are digital - analog problem
too.

Best,
Huw