[Xmca-l] Re: anachronism

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sat Sep 15 22:30:56 PDT 2018

Yes, I mean it in the sense Boas meant when he first used it
in the plural - "cultures".

I liked Helena's observation, of all the words we have for
people who don't belong to the relevant culture, but I mean
a word to describe ideas, claims, beliefs which are "blind"
to the incongruity of the idea with the relevant cultural
context. This is often a kind of anachronism, but not
always. The lack of a word arose in a controversy here in Oz
when US cultural norms were used to judge an action in an Oz
cultural context. ... That drew my attention to the lack of
a word, but I don't want to discuss the issue itself on this
list.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm