[Xmca-l] Re: Michael C. Corballis

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Fri Oct 26 16:52:51 PDT 2018

That's fine, Peter. On reflection I should have omitted
mention of "linguistics" because it was not actually that
linguistics I was interested in.

I was driving yesterday, and I heard a radio talk
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/where-did-language-come-from/10404342

This is a topic which has long interested me. The speaker
(which turned out to be Corballis) did a great job on
Chomsky and several other theories that I was unaware of, I
didn't get to hear his punch line, but he seemed really
sound. So when I got home I did some internet searches and
found that he did support my prejudice, that is, that
tool-use and speech co-evolved in the origins of our species.

I had made this claim in my article "Tool and Sign in
Vygotsky's Development"
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/Tool%20and%20Sign%20in%20Vygotskys%20Development.pdf

but never had any basis for making the claim and this was
always preying on my conscience, so I was interested to know
if Corballis was some crank making unfounded guesses, like
me, or he was the real goods. I read stuff about his
neuroscience research showing the interconnection between
handling ancient tools and handling words, but this is so
far out of my field (insofar as I have one at all), I
couldn't rationally assess the idea.

So! I am very pleased with the report you have given me. I
have ordered his book "From Hand to Mouth – The Origins of
Language" and look forward to its arrival in Australia,
hopefully before Christmas!

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm