[Xmca-l] Re: Difference between "Value" and "Exchange Value".

Harshad Dave hhdave15@gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:47:05 PDT 2018

Greg Thompson,
with reference to your trailing mail, I thank you for the same. I down
loaded the subject book of David Graeber and read the concerned topics. I
put my views on one of the small part of a chapter there in. Perhaps, you
might find it interesting.

From

“Toward An Anthropological

Theory of Value” by *David Graeber.*

[First Edition, 2001]

Page 54-55.

*Marx’s theory of value*

The first thing one should probably say about Marx’s labour theory of value
is that it’s not the same as David Ricardo’s. People often confuse them.
Ricardo argued that the value of a commodity in a market system can be
calculated in terms of the “man-hours” that went into making it, and
therefore it should be theoretically possible to calculate precisely how
many people worked how long in the process of making it (and, presumably,
making the raw materials, shipping them from place to place, and so on.) In
fact, Marx felt Ricardo’s approach was inadequate. What makes capitalism
unique, he argued, is that it is the only system in which labour—a human
being’s capacity to transform the world, their powers of physical and
mental creativity— can itself be bought and sold. After all, when an
employer hires workers, he does not usually pay them by the task completed:
he pays them by the hour, thus purchasing their ability to do whatever he
tells them to do during that period of time.6 Hence, in a wage-labour
economy, in which most people have to sell their capacity to work in this
way, one can make calculations that would be impossible in a non-capitalist
society: that is, look at the amount of labour invested in a given object
as a specific *proportion *of the total amount of labour in the system as a
whole. This is its value.

A discussion on above views:

Point 1:

The words “*In fact, Marx felt Ricardo’s approach was inadequate.*”
impresses that Marx confirmed... Ricardo was not wrong but his approach was
inadequate. Marx explored it with further analysis and interpreted
*man-hours* elaborative and finally came to a conclusion – “*look at the
amount of labour invested in a given object as a specific proportion of the
total amount of labour in the system as a whole. This is its value.*”

I think there is better way to understand above process of sale of labour
and interpret as well as analyzing its resultant out come and it is my
saying to Huw in my previous emails. Now I try to exactly explain the above
discussed process of sale of labour in other way.

There is a person P with a need to have a facility to seat comfortably or
conveniently.

A chair is one of the commodities that have all the characteristics to
satisfy the subject need of P.

Here P has selected to have a chair to satisfy his subject need.

P has a quantity of wheat to exchange with anyone against a chair.

Q is a person who has various sizes of timber pieces, tool kit for
carpentry and required labour power, skill and dexterity to manufacture a
chair (or other wooden things) from the pieces of the timber.

Q is in need of wheat.

Let us examine logical senses of P and Q for the pieces of the timber.

P does not find *use* *value* in the timber as far as his need is
concerned. The timber pieces have various characteristics but neither of
them might be linked with the subject need of P. The characteristics of
timber pieces are positively linked to manufacturing of a chair, but P has
neither knowledge (skill) of manufacturing chair from timber pieces nor he
has facility (tool kit) to manufacture it nor his work schedule permit to
devote time, labour for the subject task as P is occupied in other
productive activities (that is division of labour).

Q finds *use* *value* in the timber pieces because he has all the things
that P does not have as above. The knowledge of Q to find a fair
possibility to receive wheat in an exchange with P against a chair (if Q
has) induces him to manufacture a chair from the timber.

In above situation, Q finds *use* *value* in the timber in relation to his
need to manufacture and have a chair under his (Q) command to exchange with
P.

Why does Q find *use* *value* in the timber?

It is because,

1 He is aware of his need to have a chair for the subject exchange with P.

2 He has knowledge that pieces of the timber have all the satisfactory
characteristics to manufacture a chair.

3 He has necessary skill and tools for the same.

Q manufactures a chair.

Now P finds *use* *value* in the chair that is under command of Q, because
the need of P might be now linked with the chair. P will never find *value*
in the chair till it is not under his (P’s) command because satisfaction of
the respective need of P might be realized only if the chair is brought
under his command.

Let us summaries the latest status,

P is in need of a chair.

P has wheat and he is ready to enter an exchange process between wheat and
chair.

Q has a need of wheat. He invested his labour and skill of some hours to
manufacture a chair from the pieces of timber with him.

Q has a chair.

Now exchange process between the chair (under command of Q) and wheat
(under command of P) takes place. I say that the subject exchange process
is influenced by 20 parameters.

It is a serious mistake to think that the ratio of exchange (here quantity
of wheat against one chair) depends exclusively and only on the man hours
OR quantity of labour invested by Q. I agree invested labour is one of the
parameter of influence out of the twenty parameters.

[I terminate my discussion at half way here to avoid too long email]

Harshad Dave

Harshad Dave