[Xmca-l] Re: language and music

James Ma jamesma320@gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 05:53:33 PST 2018

 Semiotically speaking, gesture is not a slippery concept; non-gesture
manifests itself as a kind of gesture. Human beings are biologically social
and socially biological, and their relationships can't be not semiotic. I'm
watching you watching me watching you - the way you look at me affects the
way I look at you. We can't stop sending, getting signals to and from each
other, verbally or non-verbally, voluntarily or involuntarily - this is
semiotically *and* linguistically splendid!  My point is that any
non-verbal gesture as a non-linguistic sign has the word-forming potential,
capable of being transcended into language as a system of signification. As
Barthes put it, "to perceive what a substance signifies is inevitably to
fall back in the individuation of language: there is no meaning which is
not designated, and the world of signifieds is none other than that of
language".

James