[Xmca-l] Re: language and music

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@ils.uio.no
Thu Nov 29 14:23:56 PST 2018

​Well, I am lost too, but I meant the possibility of reading the need for being "clear" as the need to address others and therefore as a social need, and the need to speak such as not to loose the trail of what you are saying as a constrain that has to do with how our organisms set boundaries to what is hearable and possibly held together within one's awareness during any given period of time. But of course, the two needs presuppose each other; to make yourself clear presupposes the "biological" constrain immediately. That is why I was thinking of gesture as an expression of this unity; which in expressing itself, changes the very relation.

The babbling is even worse now, at 23:23 (really it is 23:23 in my clock)

Alfredo

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of HENRY SHONERD <hshonerd@gmail.com>
Sent: 29 November 2018 23:00
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: language and music

Alfredo,
Bingo! to gesture addressing that tension between the potentially competing charges of language, but you lost me at "social and biological conditions as a means to address gestures”. Hmmm…Proof of Slobin’s pudding? Clarity vs. temporal constraints. It may be clear to another member of the audience. Precisely Mike’s point in working with Martin. Bateson’s claim: It’s all in relation.
Henry