[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Strict definitions of qualitative research

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 08:31:42 PST 2018

My feeling is that qualitative researchers need to do three things better
(and we need to do a better job of training our students in these):

1. Articulate much more clearly what it is that qual research is UNIQUELY
positioned to do (I think that this has to do with, among other things, the
processual, the practical, the interactional, the material(!)(?) and the
contextual).
2. Recognize that there are questions/issues that qual research cannot
address.
3. Recognize that there are questions/issues that quant research cannot
address.

Most qual researchers seem unable to do #1 well (this is why I like
Martin's book so much). Instead they/we tend to say "... and qualitative
research could help too" - in the process uncritically accepting the
positivist paradigm of counting first and then adding on qual research as a
kind of non-essential topping or add-on, an unnecessary flourish in the
event that you want to do this. As a result, we don't notice that many
important questions REQUIRE qual research (and quant research can be added
on in cases where it is needed).

And, on the other hand, some qual researchers go a bit too far and say that
all questions can be answered with qual research (not recognizing #2). The
trouble here is (to use Lubomir's term) paradigmatic overreach.

What is really needed is a strong articulation of what qual research is
distinctively poised to do (again, see Martin's book). We need to be
training our students to do is to know how to ask the right questions. I
find that my students always come in asking questions that are answerable
by quant methods. They don't know how to ask qual questions - even though
these are much much more interesting!

I suspect the reason why they initially insist on quant questions has
something to do with what they understand "science" to be (i.e., a thing
that provides definitive answers to yes/no questions (how boring!)), so
Beth, my sense is you are asking the right question (and note that Martin's
first chapter is titled "What is Science?" (and in case you are wondering,
yes Martin is paying me by the mention!)).

And Beth, once things slow down for you I'd love to hear what you make of
this conversation and to hear some of your insights since I know that you
are extremely knowledgeable about qualitative research.

Very best,
greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.