[Xmca-l] Re: Looking for Reading on Stages of Reading Development

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed May 30 16:10:02 PDT 2018

Here are a couple of papers on literacy, Greg

I have a few papers on our earlier work on acquisition of reading. The
first link below is a long, detailed draft of a paper that was only
published in full in Russian). It goes beyond Chall in a way you might find
interesting. The second is a paper sort of explaining the link between
still earlier cross-cultural that contains a cut down version of the long
unpublished piece. The last one another short, somewhat different, piece on
the topic of acquisition of reading.

Contact me directly if you want to follow up. We are particularly focused
on a critique of "level one --> level 2 theories" (with respect to
acquisition of literacy, decoding before comprehension) and try to offer an
empirically grounded alternative.
mike

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/People/NEWTECHN.pdf

http://quote.ucsd.edu/lchcautobio/files/2015/08/Cole-1995-Culture-and-Cognitive-Development-PDF.pdf

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/People/MCole/ColeGriffinRemediation.pdf

--
A man's mind-what there is of it- has always the advantage of being
masculine, - as the smallest birch-tree is of a higher kind than the most