[Xmca-l] Fwd: NPR series on cross-cultural parenting

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Fri May 11 20:09:41 PDT 2018

This should be of wide interest.
FYI
Mike
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Suzanne Gaskins <suzanne.gaskins@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM
Subject: NPR series on cross-cultural parenting
To: <suzanne.gaskins@gmail.com>

Dear friends, family, and colleagues,

As some of you know, in early April I hosted a National Public Radio
reporter in the village in Yucatan, Mexico where I do my research on Maya
children and their families. She and some of her colleagues are putting
together a series on parenting in other cultures. In honor of Mother’s Day,
the series kicks off this Sunday with an introduction of the theme, and
will be followed by a number of stories from around the world, one each
week, about particular topics in parenting and children. The series will be
aired both on Morning Edition and All Things Considered.

Two of those stories will be done by the reporter that I hosted, Michaeleen
Doucleff, based on what she learned from visiting a few families in the
village. One family from the village will also be discussed in the report
introducing the series this Sunday. For each segment, there will be more
information posted on the national NPR website, including an essay and some
pictures. Here is a link for the website essay paired with this Sunday’s
segment:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/05/11/603315432/the-best-mothers-day-gift-get-mom-out-of-the-box
.
There is a link there where you can sign up for a weekly email about NPR’s
health reporting, including the stories in this series.

This series is a wonderful opportunity for me and others who work on
cultural influences on children’s development and families—including many
of you—to have their work and their interests represented to the general
public. I’m very excited to hear the whole series.

Best,
Suzanne

--
A man's mind-what there is of it- has always the advantage of being
masculine, - as the smallest birch-tree is of a higher kind than the most