[Xmca-l] Re: AERA Session: Being/Becoming an Activist Scholar: Lessons From Cultural-Historical Activity Research

Larry Smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 10:21:27 PDT 2018

Message from Francine Smolucha:

This link has an interview that would be of interest to activist./scholars

https://youtu.be/K4kHiUAjTvQ

[https://i.ytimg.com/vi/K4kHiUAjTvQ/hqdefault.jpg]<https://youtu.be/K4kHiUAjTvQ>

Yuri Bezmenov - KGB Defector on "Useful Idiots" and the True Face of Communism<https://youtu.be/K4kHiUAjTvQ>
youtu.be
The USA is at this moment a destabilized nation on the way to crisis. In this interview from 1984, Yuri Bezmenov articulates the method.

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Carrie Lobman <carrie.lobman@gse.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 9:33 AM
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] AERA Session: Being/Becoming an Activist Scholar: Lessons From Cultural-Historical Activity Research

Hello XMCAers,

I am very pleased to be chairing this timely and important session at AERA in a few weeks (Monday April 16). The idea for Being/Becoming an Activist-Scholar <http://tinyurl.com/ybdkh6kw> was born at last years conference in San Antonio where I felt a shift as more and more people, particularly graduate students, were identifying as activist scholars or were seeking to engage in activism. I believe as socio-cultural and activitists we have much to offer this conversation and a responsibility to lead and teach.
What Is a 21st-Century Activist Scholar to Do?<http://tinyurl.com/ybdkh6kw>
tinyurl.com
To the naïve mind revolution and history seem incompatible. It believes that historical development continues as long as it follows a straight line. When a change comes, a break in the historical fabric, a leap—then this naïve mind sees only catastrophe, a fall, a rupture; for the naïve mind history ends until back again straight and narrow. The scientific mind on the contrary, views revolution as the locomotive of history, forging ahead at full speed; it regards the revolutionary epoch as the tangible, living embodiment of history. A revolution solves only those tasks which have been raised by history; this proposition holds equally true for revolution in general and for aspects of social and cultural life. (Vygotsky as quoted in Leviathan, 1982). Socio-cultural theory was born of activism. It emerged in the early, most improvisational moments of the Russian Revolution, and one of its continuing provocations is that it does not claim to be objective or apolitical. Vygotsky and his followers located thei

I was thrilled that Kris Guitierrez, Lois Holzman, and Anna Stetsenko agreed to be our featured speakers as they each bring a long history of rigorous scholarship and activism but from with different frameworks, activities and communities. These three presentations will jumpstart a conversation with an invited panel of emerging and established scholar activists who will collectively interview and respond to the presentations and lead a discussion with the audience.

Please get the word out as widely as possible.

http://tinyurl.com/y7zguva7

Carrie

Carrie Lobman, Ed.D.

Chair, Department of Learning and Teaching

Graduate School of Education

Rutgers University

www.gse.rutgers.edu<http://www.gse.rutgers.edu>

www.eastsideinstitute.org<http://www.eastsideinstitute.org<http://www.eastsideinstitute.org<http://www.eastsideinstitute.org>>