[Xmca-l] Re: (non)grieving scholarship

Wagner Luiz Schmit wagner.schmit@gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:28:57 PDT 2018

Hello,

Another news article came out in the same topic.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2018/mar/23/they-called-my-university-a-phd-factory-now-i-understand-why?CMP=fb_gu

In Brazil the first part of the equation does not follow much. Master
degree and PhD courses are free in public universities. This seems nice,
but a PhD is like a job, and without a (meager) scholarship you need a job
to pay for the bills.

 But we are still "cheap labor" for both public and private universities.
And also the "new" government (the government after the parlamentary coup)
is just smashing brazilian academia to pieces (in the part of the process
to make Brazil submissive to the US and Corporations, but this is
off-topic).

And there is the hazard itself that is our PhD process

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2017/04/phd-students-face-significant-mental-health-challenges

We need to change this... But I do not see how... Because at the end of the
day, I still need to pay my bills...

Wagner