[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

Peter Feigenbaum [Staff] pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu
Mon Mar 26 06:52:43 PDT 2018

Regarding my earlier comment about the historical transition from collective
activity that is  unconscious and inadvertent to that which is conscious
and deliberate, I would like to add a subsequent reflection that will
(hopefully) complicate that rather overly simplistic description.

In his amusing and informative book Cows, Pigs, War, and Witchs: The
Riddles of Culture, (
https://www.amazon.com/Cows-Pigs-Wars-Witches-Riddles/dp/0679724680 ),
Marvin Harris presents an altenative veiw on cultural taboos. He looks
beneath the commonly held explanations for maintaining certain cultural
practices, such as the Hindu taboo against killing cows, the Jewish taboo
against eating pork, etc., and shows that those cultural stories are not
true explanations at all, but rationalizations. Using a materialist
analysis, he makes a persuasive case that the causes of these practices are
economic at their root. For example, if Hindus began to kill and eat cows,
their economy would crumble because the cow and its byproducts are
essential to daily living. In the case of Jews not eating pork, he argues
that to invest in raising (and eating) pigs, Jews would have to sacrifice
their nomadic life.

What Harris reveals is a sort of semi-conscious thought process in which
culture develops fables to explain already existing practices - practices
that have their root in cultural survival, but which have been accounted
for by mythology rather than science.

So my earlier representation of an unconscious-to-conscious development in
collective practice is strictly speaking not true, and it could be improved
by including an intermediate stage of semi-conscious practice in which the
reasons for a particular cultural practice are presented not as a
deliberate plan for future action, but as a rationalization of past action.
I would argue that a rationalization such as *Jews don't eat pork because
of the health hazards of eating uncooked meat* is not really a form of
deliberation, but instead a form of mental reflection.

I tend to pose issues in rather stark, black-and-white form in order to
highlight the essential dialectical dynamics, but I recognize that that
isn't always the most helpful approach. Sorry if I posed the issue in such
either-or terms.

Peter

--
Peter Feigenbaum, Ph.D.