[Xmca-l] Re: A new-ish learning platform that may be a way to save adjuncts?

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Fri Mar 23 10:27:23 PDT 2018

Thanks for posing those questions and inviting everyone to share visions, Annalisa.

Mine will sound like a cliché to many here, familiar to the sort of discourse that emerged around situative learning theories on learning as apprenticeship... But, that vision of research institutes as handcraft workshops, where more and less experienced apprentices participate together in doing a form of craft, is my vision. I am a newbie teacher and all my efforts go into thinking, "how can I make this lecture/class/seminar be a workshop useful for producing the sort of things I am producing?" I find this approach useful for three interconnected reasons: (1) it forces me to make the product of my craft, of my research activities, and therefore also the procedures, relevant not only to myself or academic journal readership. If whatever I am producing with my research is not relevant for the students, if it cannot be something that would engage 30+ people and make them want to learn the skills to come out with similar types of products, then probably I should reconsider my object of study/teaching. (2) it overcomes the commodification issue that has been discussed; for it is the craftmanship and skill what is offered, and that is not somehting that can be sold for "consumed", it is rather what sets production-consumption systems  it is something that needs to be cultivated and that therefore generates culture. (3) Finally, I think that when you do (1) and (2) properly, then your research craftmanship, the practice you are setting up, cannot stay self-contained but needs to be some hybrid form of scholar and non-scholar work. Here in Reykjavik, for example, they run this platform-centre for supporting and investigating ICT and teaching that is hybrid in two senses: (i) first involving a digital forum as well as a set of physical meeting places in which teachers come to share, discuss, challenge, try out, teaching ideas, issues etc. and then (ii) hybrid because it is not teaching practice itself, nor is it scholar practice itself. It is not the scholars who organize the meetings, but the teachers, who actually come to the university not to get a degree, not even to get better at what they do, but rather to get better things done. That is a nice vision, I think.

Alfredo Jornet
________________________________
New article in *Design Studies* "Imagining Design: Transitive and intransitive dimensions"
Free print available: https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1WhHg_,KmyN6Dr

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Annalisa Aguilar <annalisa@unm.edu>
Sent: 23 March 2018 17:23
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: A new-ish learning platform that may be a way to save adjuncts?

Thanks Greg and Anna, and salutations to others,

Thanks so much for the discussion.

I agree that one of the unattended issues is not about how much money one could make doing one's own courses. They spend a lot of time on the idea of raining money in that promotion video. But try to look past that. (And yes, commodification of anything tends to suck the valuable essence out of things).

We have the world we are given and we must try to transform it with the soil and seeds that we have here. Let's not wait for Godot.

Why not start an accreditation association, something like TrustE does for vetting responsible websites. If you have been accredited, then it can attest for quality. Certainly this isn't far from the peer review model.

To speak to Greg's skeptic, there is already a form of this market pressure and commodification of "sexy" courses in universities, in terms of any course offering and getting enough students to sign up. If you don't have enough that sign up, the university cancels the class, which puts professors in a bind with teaching requirements. That dynamic is already there.

But if a professor had a core class that contained lessons that don't need updating all that much, that frees up a lot of time that the professor can spend working more closely with students, one-on-one, because the time to organize  and produce coursework has been negotiated  and processed already. This seems to be a more personable way of teaching, where the website platform is just another kind of book that the professor teaches from.

Just like GCAS is creating a collective of educators all over the world, professors can travel and teach anywhere and as more time goes one, the itinerant sage can meet all sorts of diverse students, and other teachers in conferences, who have come to appreciate what they offer in the learning traditions. Conferences are already an established academic forum.

I don't really understand the contract labor argument because that is already happening with adjuncts in established universities, and we already know what is wrong about that. I don't think academics write books because they are contracting their labor for constructing interesting and entertaining sentences.

But there is nothing keeping people from creating collectives and establishing their own associations and promoting themselves as a school of thought coming from a particular lineage or tradition of learning. These alternatives are just not associated with a brick and mortar institution.

These are some imaginings.

What do you think? If you could prefigure your desired educational forum, what would that look like? If you could have your own research institute,  and study what you wanted, what would that look like?

You must have many many ideas!

How about we hear about that? I'd love to know what they are. I'm sure there can be really exciting conversations on that topic alone.

Kind regards,

Annalisa