[Xmca-l] Re: A new-ish learning platform that may be a way to save adjuncts?

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 08:21:14 PDT 2018

Advocating for ignorance always seems to be a strange position to take.
Though it is a position those in power have often adopted through out
history.

I would also push back that we have no idea how to to make learning happen
in these environments. What we might say is we have no way how to make
learning happen in these ways that is both scalable and profitable with
hockey stick growth.

There are many folks in Open Source communities who have long created
classes nothing like MOOCs. What is StackOverflow but a large (and
sometimes rude) learning community? Cormier's #Rhizo classes, #DS106,
#walkmyworld are all small scale classes in the education and art spaces
that have been researched (though more comparative case studies and
autoenthographies).

I also think we need to stop the false distinction between our offline and
offline learning environments. I think part of the reason hybrid learning
comes out favorably in meta-analysis isn't just because of the role of the
instructor but the computer aided yet tactile environment is an interesting
artifacts of tools.

Finally the only way an app would help adjuncts would be if it had two
buttons, "Pay me a living wage" and "create a "Tenure Track Position"