[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

WEBSTER, DAVID S. d.s.webster@durham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 01:10:26 PDT 2018

Please forgive my impatience but I have already directed you all to a  site where all the points you (collectively) have so far made,  and all the one that you are ever likely to make on this subject, have been raised and comprehensively worked over by Gans and those many scholars who have engaged with him. The nub is the progressive transformation from analogue to digital required for information transfer between different systems operating at differing time scales. What Gans described in his 'originary hypothesis' is the same transformational operation that was used to  teach deaf and alingual children at Zagorsk that involves taking the actions of appropriation (actions for life skills) and pairing them down to a digital code - dactylic signing. For Andy: the Urpraxis, solidarity in your telling, arises at the originary scene of language (in Gans's telling) through the formation of a in-group out-group relation.

Rant Over

Ps its not that I agree with all Gans argues, But he does attempt to cover all bases where origin of language /human culture is concerned and in a non-sectarian/non-egotistical fashion and I therefor worth engaging with. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: 21 March 2018 05:39
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

I think that the thesis that *mime* (to generalise beyond
signing) is a plausible precursor to spoken language, and there is are substantial anthropological arguments to support that thesis. It seems to me that stone tools are precursors of tools more generally, and mime may be a precursor to spoken language, while the anatomical prerequisites to speech are evolving. How did speech become such a necessity that it drove anatomical change, and when/why did tool=making "take off" after stagnating for millennia?

But I'm only guessing, as are you David!

This is not a palaeontologists' list, so I guess I was over-optimistic to think I'd get a decisive answer to this.

Andy

Andy Blunden
ttp://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm