[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Mon Mar 19 16:36:35 PDT 2018

Oh dear! I had no idea what I was going to open here.

All my lights - Hegel, Marx and Vygotsky - make a
qualitative distinction between sign-use and tool-use and
Vygotsky made a big deal of the distinction, and for his own
reasons, at the time, wrote with some passion against the
idea of lumping the two together as "artefact-mediated
actions." While I think that the evolutionary origins of
these two forms of action are tied up together, I have long
been intrigued by the question of which leads which, and
whether this is a sensible question at all? Engels was sure
that cooperative tool-use stimulated the need for language
but I am not so sure. There is a philosophical-type argument
which says that by fashioning external objects as proxies
for human powers fosters the mental shift required for
symbolic speech. But there are lots of things people can do
together before they make tools.

But I am interested in the paleontology of this. The changes
in the position of the larynx in particular which made
speech physically possible for hominids, and on the other
hand, the evidence of stone tools. The 150,000-350,000 years
ago figure comes from linguistic analysis to do with the
rate of phoneme loss, but the descended larynx must
presumably predate the use of a universal language by a long
time. Some people put the origins of speech-ability back to
2 million years ago, and stone tools go back further. But
then again, stone tools didn't develop much at all for
millions of years, and the really rapid development in
tool-use is very recent, much more recent than the origin of
universal languages.

Andy

Andy Blunden
ttp://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm
On 20/03/2018 2:08 AM, Glassman, Michael wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> So are you completely throwing out the Pragmatist view of language, that is was developed by humans to meet needs within their particular development canals? (pace Waddington). Are you taking a Chomskina view?
>
> As far as Vygotsky, I have a bias as seeing him have strong affiliations with the American pragmatist of the early 20th century.
>
> What would the cultural historical view be (the reason it might be okay to keep the subject line).
>
> Michael

>>> australia-asia/?utm_source=SAPIENS.org+Subscribers&utm_
>>> campaign=1b31c25316-Email+Blast+12.22.2017&utm_medium=