[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 05:50:39 PDT 2018

Somewhere in the discussion of Monica and Fernando's article, Fernando made
the remark that history does not know "ifs". Similarly, Monica implied at
one point that large technological changes must be taken as given; they are
not something over which humans have control. But even if we accept
the "Out of Africa" story which this article undermines, we are left with
the apparently conscious decision of early hominids to leave the home
continent, something none of the other great apes ever determined upon.
Vygotsky remarked that rudiments of all four forms of higher
behavior--instinct, enculturation, creativity, and free will that is none
of these--appear even in infancy. So it appears that free will was always
part of anthropogenesis, and consequently that history--including present
history--knows nothing but ifs. We just don't see the others because we are
sitting in one of them.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

Recent Article in *Early Years*

The question of questions: Hasan’s critiques, Vygotsky’s crises, and the
child’s first interrogatives
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09575146.2018.1431874>

Free e-print available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6EeWMigjFARavQjDJjcW/full