[Xmca-l] Re: Not sure what to make of "Davos for Millenials"

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Mar 18 06:21:04 PDT 2018

Andy et al

Not exactly, but that's the obvious consideration.

What I have noticed as of late is this sort of strange union between (what I will name) community-sharing and entrepreneurial-exceptionalism.

It almost seems communism American-style. Or Communism with the eye for Capitalist innovation.

I mean there is a sort of commune mentality of building a better place through a utopian model (though it may not be YOUR idea of Utopia, there is a prefiguration of sorts happening). What they are doing seems a lot like the communes in the 60s & 70s in California.

But the difference is it has traveled east to Utah, and taken on the metaphor of rarified air to the extreme. And they have the money that the hippies never had.

Also these are the kids of hippies generationally speaking.

But more to the point, I detected in this story, what these young people are doing, there is an expression of Vygotskian theory there.

How the society is being created to create the minds of the individuals who comprise the society.

Something like that.

And I wanted to ask the list if you see what I do.

I guess I seek a reality check, because it seems there is something familiar, but something unfamiliar about this.

There is a kind of self-awareness of learning that they have, a self-consciousness of participating in a social experiment, but with this wafting aroma of Ayn Rand.

What I mean when I say that, it that they seem to believe in the individual and that every one and anyone can leverage the internet and become the best human they can be, if only people just unleash their latent potential.

And then below that layer is the implication that anyone who doesn't do this, is somehow choosing to settle for their fate, rather than create their own fate. It's all about applying oneself against the odds of extreme environments. And winning against the odds.

It's weird.

Comments?

Kind regards,

Annalisa