[Xmca-l] Re: Article for discussion: Facebook in Brazilian schools

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Mar 15 06:05:43 PDT 2018

Harshad, in the American context I think "family values" is
exactly what is not going to solve the problem of gun
violence - if indeed anything can "solve" it at all.

It is civic participation. By committing themselves to solve
this problem through protest, debate and civic action,
demanding that Congresspeople act in the public interest -
these schoolkids are doing exactly the kind of thing that
can make some progress.

On the other hand, the consciousness that says (and this is
what many American men think) "It is *my* responsibility to
defend *my* family, so I demand *my* right to have a gun to
shoot anyone who comes near *my* house and *my family*" is
what the gun culture feeds on.

That's my take ... safely on the other side of the Pacific
Ocean.

Andy

Andy Blunden
ttp://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm