[Xmca-l] Re: Article for discussion: Facebook in Brazilian schools

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:36:13 PDT 2018

Not rude at all, Monica. It is a point Mike and others made less
forcefully, and it is much appreciated. Mike also pointed out, in his
comments on Yrjo Engstrom's presentation on social movements at ISCAR, that
not all social movements are progressive. You also point this out when you
cite the five star movement in Italy. And look at this, from today's news:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43385677

I don't want to laugh or to cry, but only to understand. One way of
understanding that is both (as Lois Holzman would put it) a tool and a
result is trying to predict: to replace astonishment with foresight.

For example, we know that there are problems when workers try to take
control of bourgeois institutions for their own purposes: the institutions
fight back.There is a 2010 article in MCA by Brecht de Smet which argues
that Facebook actually helped Egypt's intellectuals dilute the
working-class content of the Mahalla strike movement: the result was broad
enough to take down Mubarak, but so shallow that it has left the Mahalla
workers exactly where they were. Brecht's article doesn't speak much of how
this contradiction is expressed internally, within the apparent
"solidarity" of the movement itself.

The form in which people say things is not only relevant to how many people
they are addressing, it is also relevant to what they have to say. It seems
to me that the "faux intimate" tone of "like" only accentuates the
contradiction between agitation (taking a few simple ideas to many people)
and propaganda (taking a theoretical world view to a vanguard).

I am a linguist, and so I think that form and content are never irrelevant
to each other. For example, if you address me in Portuguese in your next
post, I will learn even more!

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

Recent Article in *Early Years*

The question of questions: Hasan’s critiques, Vygotsky’s crises, and the
child’s first interrogatives
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09575146.2018.1431874>

Free e-print available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6EeWMigjFARavQjDJjcW/full