[Xmca-l] Re: Re-situating funds of identity within contemporary interpretations of perezhivanie

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:58:50 PDT 2018

I think any discussion of Perezhivaniyaha throughout the development of an
avatar must acknowledge the power relationship inherent in being told to
draw on fountains of identity. What if the crisis involved is, "Ohh crap my
teacher is making me draw and tell about who I am. I don't want to share?"
or the cultural implications of asking youth to be "open" about who they
are.

I see the avatar study more as a study of visual metaphors. Choose a
picture that represents you. Though I did like the novel analysis of word
clouds. I love to see how we play with these in narrative multimodal
analysis.

I think the authors could find (though not from this theoretical lens) a
lot of parallel work in Art Therapy journals, digital literacies, etc. We
presented paper at LRA a few years back for example, (though Katina Zammit
our discussant took us to the carpet for not using enough of a semiotic
lens to analyze metaphors) where we had people choose a picture about
themselves before an a digital literacy professional development and then
choose one after. Fun way to find change states over a Likert scale. You so
rarely get this response <https://youtu.be/wKjxFJfcrcA?t=3s> from
participants.

I have always never liked the idea of development and learning always
beginning with crisis. I don't know the literature well enough to argue the
point. i just know the concept is wrong in my gut.