[Xmca-l] Re: cultural constructions of childhood?

David Preiss preiss.xmca@gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 08:19:10 PDT 2018

What about the works of the late William Kessen? (Sorry if I am repeating
something mentioned above, just coming back to XMCA after a long hiatus)

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:07 AM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> and a few more on the anthropology front (in case you are still
> interested):
>
> Bambi Chapin's *Childhood in a Sri Lankan Village* is very good. Gottlieb
> and De Loache have a new *A World of Babies* edition out.
>
> ​And ​
> Elise Berman
> ​ has a book coming out at the end of January that does some good
> theorizing of "age", including "childhood". The title of her book is:
> *Talking Like Children: Language and the Production of Age in the Marshall
> Islands.* Oxford University Press
>

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully not too late, David Lancy's The Anthropology of Childhood:
>> Cherubs, Chattel, and Changelings has a nice sampling of childhoods across
>> multiple cultures.
>>
>> Also, some classics from a Western historical perspective:
>> Joseph Kett's Rites of Passage: Adolescence in America 1790 to Present
>> Phillip Aries' Centuries of Childhood
>>
>> And a sociological one that looked interesting:
>> https://books.google.co.kr/books?hl=en&lr=&id=q_EjCQAAQBAJ&
>> oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=anthropology+and+the+construction+of+
>> childhood&ots=EiPR30OMTA&sig=MUq_2SbvNv0MKZAx9DggFETLTi0#v=
>> onepage&q=anthropology%20and%20the%20construction%20of%20chi
>> ldhood&f=false
>>
>> And I came across this more accessible book while searching for the Kett
>> and thought it might be useful (I haven't read it and so can't vouch for
>> quality):
>> https://books.google.co.kr/books?hl=en&lr=&id=A19CDwAAQBAJ&
>> oi=fnd&pg=PT7&dq=kett+history+of+childhood&ots=EJq_5BUBr4&
>> sig=g_CvUkXGi32W18dhwKP-IZZecdI#v=onepage&q=kett%
>> 20history%20of%20childhood&f=false
>>
>> Good luck!
>> -greg
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Katherine Wester Neal <wester@uga.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks again! I'd forgotten about the * Babies* movie, and yes, it's
>>> perfect for this course. Now I have lots of reading to do!
>>>

>>> If a database of collected works becomes available, I'd be happy to post
>>> the syllabus. It's for an undergrad seminar course.

>>> es-ebook/dp/B00190VF0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528222902&sr=
>>> 8-1&keywords=everyday+lives+of+young+children%3A+culture%2C+