[Xmca-l] Re: SCRD and U.S. immigration policy statement

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Wed Jun 20 00:30:06 PDT 2018

Thanks for sharing this, David. Many of us are deeply concerned and sad with the barbarity and inhumanity that the people in the US borders and lands are suffering because of current US policies with immigration, not to mention the recent withdrawall from UN's Human Rights Council. But yes, I totally agree that this opens wide room for discussing the always complex relation between science and politics.

Personally, I totally support the writing of a scientific repport showing the "evidence" of the inhumanity of separating young children from their parents. But I am very unsure about the adequacy of a supposedly non-partisan position of using "scientific" evidence as a sort of blank sheet upon which to draw political opinions and choices, specially when the "science" concerns basic human rights of and for evelopment and well-being that any other species *knows* without uncertainty, with tenacious and irrevocable objectivity. Is the work of documenting the *need* and *right* of children to remain together with their parents really about "objectivity"? Or put another way, what type of science is that which cannot tell whether separating children from parents/caregivers is *bad* and *not right*? After all, the SCRD's statement seems quite unambigous with regard to what has "importance" and should be "prioritized".

A can of worms. Surely many here that have a much more articulated position about this. I am very curious about what the views on this are. With five IPCC reports out there and seeing the little progress made on Climate Change issues, this debate, though old, is far from exhausted, I am afraid.

Alfredo

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of David Preiss <preiss.xmca@gmail.com>
Sent: 20 June 2018 05:25
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: SCRD and U.S. immigration policy statement

PS. The twitter account of SRCD then disseminated related evidence and posted a new statement:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SRCDtweets

SRCD Statement Addressing the Evidence on Child Separation from Families: The science on separating children from their families is unambiguous: It is harmful to children's development and long-term physical, mental, and emotional health. It disrupts a child's sense of security, removes a child's strongest source of comfort, and causes harm to a child's well-being. The evidence underscores the importance of prioritizing keeping children secure with their families.