[Xmca-l] Re: cultural constructions of childhood?

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:22:31 PDT 2018

Hopefully not too late, David Lancy's The Anthropology of Childhood:
Cherubs, Chattel, and Changelings has a nice sampling of childhoods across
multiple cultures.

Also, some classics from a Western historical perspective:
Joseph Kett's Rites of Passage: Adolescence in America 1790 to Present
Phillip Aries' Centuries of Childhood

And a sociological one that looked interesting:
https://books.google.co.kr/books?hl=en&lr=&id=q_EjCQAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=anthropology+and+the+construction+of+childhood&ots=EiPR30OMTA&sig=MUq_2SbvNv0MKZAx9DggFETLTi0#v=onepage&q=anthropology%20and%20the%20construction%20of%20childhood&f=false

And I came across this more accessible book while searching for the Kett
and thought it might be useful (I haven't read it and so can't vouch for
quality):
https://books.google.co.kr/books?hl=en&lr=&id=A19CDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT7&dq=kett+history+of+childhood&ots=EJq_5BUBr4&sig=g_CvUkXGi32W18dhwKP-IZZecdI#v=onepage&q=kett%20history%20of%20childhood&f=false

Good luck!
-greg