[Xmca-l] Re: English translation of Pedology of the Adolescent

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:59:39 PDT 2018

 Vygotsky himself says that many things that he and his colleagues firmly
believed had to be discarded as errors (Author's Preface to T&S). Vygotsky
is working in a poor country, with a lousy library,and (having done this
myself for most of my life) I can say that this is not conducive to
critical assimilation of the literature from the cutting edge.

So for example in Pedolgy of the Adolescent Chapter Six, Vygotsky has laid
out his reasons for thinking that the "non-coincidence of general-anatomic
maturation and sociocultural maturation" is the contradiction that
characterizes the  Social Situation of Development (he doesn't yet call it
that, though). So he is presenting three reasons for the importance of
sexual maturation to . One is the clear correlation between delayed puberty
and underachievement in schools being reported in the USSR. Another is the
equally clear link between sex hormones and growth spurts.

But the third reason is a set of "rejuvenation" experiments undertaken by
Steinach and perfected by a chap called Voronoff in France. This involved
transplanting tissue from monkey testicles into the scrota of the very
rich, something Vygotsky imagines produces "clear evidence of
rejuvenation". Steinach, who worked with non-human guinea
pigs, was nominated for a Nobel six or seven times (but, significantly,
never got one). Voronoff was apparently popular enough with limp
millionaires to marry a Rumanian princess. But today we we know that
tissues would have been instantaneously rejected by the immune system. Even
at the time, Irving Berlin wrote a rather satirical song for a Marx
brothers movie about it:

Let me take you by the hand

Over to the jungle band

If you're too old for dancing

Get yourself a monkey gland

Go, my little dearie, there's the Darwin theory

Telling me and you

To do the Monkey Doodle Doo

dk

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Book with the Seoul Vygotsky Community

Volume 1 of "Pedology of the Adolescent", 분열과 사랑 (in the Korean language)

http://www.aladin.co.kr/shop/wproduct.aspx?ItemId=148240197