[Xmca-l] Re: English translation of Pedology of the Adolescent

Larry Smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Sun Jun 3 05:38:57 PDT 2018

Message from Francine:

Regarding tools of the mind (to use Budrova and Leong's terminology), there are two aspects of tools that haven't been acknowledged in this discussion.

First: The concept of  'mental tools' is not literally the same as a manual tool used on an object, it can be used metaphorically or as a broader category of 'tool-usage.'

Second: Tools and tool usage can be co-constructed during play or work activities.

Tools (and their usage) are not always predetermined cultural artifacts. The proper usage of a work tool such as a pair of pliers can be taught in a shop class, but this doesn't rule out improvised use of the pliers in a new creative way.

There is an unfortunate meta-narrative that has accompanied previous new publications on Vygotsky's theories that puts forth the new text as 'the' new correct view of Vygotsky's works. Every new text is an opportunity to raise new questions and open up avenues of research. Instead the new text is too often promoted as the definitive text that supercedes previous interpretations of Vygotsky's theory. It is ironic that David takes issue with Norris Minick's divisions of the development of Vygotsky's thinking in Volume One of the CW in English. I disagreed with Minick when he was first advocating that Vygotsky's real theory was to be found in Vygoysky's writings from 1932-1934 and that Vygotsky's earlier works were of no importance [during a graduate seminar at the University of Chicago in January 1987]. More recently Yasnitsky (2016) has presented the new authoritative 'revisionist' Vygotsky theory.

In spite of these attempts to impose a new authoritative revision of Vygotsky's theory,

individual practitioners and researchers continue to advance the field with what some 'experts' regard as misunderstandings.

As David and his colleagues continue their ground breaking work of translating yet another Vygotsky text, this could open up a new productive dialogue that would carry on through the 21st century. What will Vygotsky's theory look like at mid-century or in the late 21st century? Will it have fallen on the wayside or thrive?