[Xmca-l] Re: English translation of Pedology of the Adolescent

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:03:02 PDT 2018

Item c in David's enumeration makes an appearance in volume 4, p. 60-63.
The hankering after "mental tools", in my opinion, is a major
misapprehension by students of Vygotsky. It confuses development of the
epistemological basis of knowing and activity with the notion of being
given a tool! This, in turn, decouples (or ignores) the necessity for
practices to embody epistemological forms of knowing from cultural
participation. Culture then becomes some arbitrary set of practices that
one is indoctrinated into, completely ignoring the necessity for the
development in ways of knowing. Maybe the full pedology volume will help to
rectify this.

Best,
Huw