[Xmca-l] Re: If economics is immune from ethics, why should exploitation be a topic of discussion in economics?

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Wed Jul 18 18:57:30 PDT 2018

Yes. The 1844 Manuscripts contain more obviously ethical
language and ideas than /Capital/ does at first sight, but
we still have the same contradiction that wherever Marx
addresses Ethics he dismisses it. In the later works he
seems to be advocating a "scientific objectivism" which is
not so much the case with 1844. I neglected to mention in
responding to Harshad, that Marx also rejected with
justified contempt "emotivist" approaches to Ethics, i.e.,
the reduction of Ethics to feelings and preferences, which
became very fashionable in the decades after his death. As
you could see from that link I posted, the Social Democracy
made a lot of efforts to fill this gap, but this was all
swept away with the Russian Revolution and the Third
International. I think it is only via Hegel that a Marxist
Ethics can be recovered, but it is challenging.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm