[Xmca-l] Re: Interesting article on robots and social learning

Douglas Williams djwdoc@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 19:25:09 PDT 2018

 Hi, Greg--
Here's that whimsical paper. The thing that remains most valid to me now, knowing a little bit more, is the externality question--namely, the degree to which the tiny amount of mind that constitutes conscious activity still receives (as is inevitable, with a pragmatic application) nearly all the attention of AI research. That still is mostly the case today, and that is still a problem that would need to be understood and modeled far better than it seems to be now for Kurzweil's singularity to be near, no matter how powerful the processing is tossed at information storage and retrieval, and pattern recognition. Right now, any artificial cognitive process remains a simulacrum, more like the reflection in Plato's cave than anything resembling the things outside of the cave, with all of their movement, dynamism, pleasure, pain, and empathy--and not least, with the interaction between things and their environment, which is all invisible in the reflection in the cave.
Regards,Doug