[Xmca-l] Re: Interesting article on robots and social learning

David H Kirshner dkirsh@lsu.edu
Mon Jul 16 12:15:38 PDT 2018

Thanks, Greg.

The distributed aspect I see to Eliza is that analysands are using the program to think about their own lives, and perhaps resolve some of their internal conflicts. But that’s not a function of AI; the same as would happen if Eliza were a person.

I’m just learning from your post that some of the customer support I get is from bots. It troubles me I didn’t know that. When I get a robo-call on the phone, I don’t hesitate to hang up. When I get a call from a human reading a script, I wonder about whether to treat them as part of a machine, which they are, or as human beings, which they are. I need to struggle through those decisions, for which I need knowledge of whom/what I’m speaking with. As we expand the boundary of human to include bot, don’t we also diminish human? We shouldn’t do that uncritically.

David

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Greg Thompson
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 10:29 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Interesting article on robots and social learning

David Ki,

Interesting. It seems to me that this points to the distributed nature of cognition since the effectiveness of the therapy must have something to do with the uptake of these responses by the analysand (along these lines also consider Garfinkel's classic study of a therapy program based on yes/no questions that randomly produces answers and yet which the analysands felt was effective therapy).

So I suppose one relevant question for the development of AI would be: What are the processes through which cognition can be distributed? And, how can AI develop such processes?

That seems like another way of trying to figure out how AI can "leverage" the cultural context around it.

[As for the Turing test, I like to play these games with customer service encounters to see if I can figure out if they are human or "bots".]

-greg