[Xmca-l] Re: Bateson on thinking relatively

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 07:00:58 PST 2018

Mike,
but surely you would agree that virtually all of the analyses that we
currently see in the literature do this going round and round in a circle.
The follow Bateson means to abandon the thought of individuals, of
individual conceptions, of "identity" (see e.g. *Mind and Nature* on
characteristics, such as "dependency," "aggressiveness," and "pride" as
being not internal or characteristic of a person and that "such words have
their roots in what happens between persons, not in something-or-other
inside a person" (p.133). All the talk about internalization makes little
sense if you adopt Bateson's perspective.

Those interested, we have a paper in *CoDesign*, where we provide a case
study of "Becoming-breezer," a coming-into-correspondence of designer,
materials and designed objects (Roth et al., 2017).
I am working on similar issues in "Growing-making mathematics...," where
"growing-making tangram shapes" also means "becoming-hexagon" (Roth, 2016).

For those interested, they should read the easy-to-read books by Tim
Ingold. But I think Tim remains a bit abstract, does not provide detailed
case studies in actual human relations---which our papers do.

Michael

Ingold, T. (2011). Being-alive: Essays on movement, knowledge and
description. London, UK: Routledge.
Ingold, T. (2013). Making: Anthropology, archeology, art and architecture.
London, UK: Routledge.
Ingold, T. (2015). The life of lines. London, UK: Routledge.
Roth, W.-M. (2016). Growing-making mathematics: a dynamic perspective on
people, materials, and movement in classrooms. Educational Studies in
Mathematics, 93, 87–103.
Roth, W.-M., Socha, D., & Tenenberg, J. (2017). Becoming-design in
corresponding: re/theorizing the co- in codesigning. CoDesign, 13, 1–17.