[Xmca-l] Re: Bronfennbrenner discussion

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 30 15:17:50 PST 2018

oops, hit a wrong key.
to continue
Hi Jon-

     There are obviously a ton of issues to discuss in your article. I
guess that my paper on using his ideas as part of the process of designing
activities for kids in university-community partnerships is
an example of inappropriate mis-appropriations. I'm not sure.  If I need a
defense its that I thought the ideas as I understood them useful, but I was
not testing his formulations in the same way you are concerned to do, but
using (some of) them for planning, analysis, and interpretation.

    While trying to sort that out, I'll just make a couple of observations.

The problem of multiple simultaneous "influences" from one presumed level
of context to another always ties me in knots because its so hard to put
causal sequence into a non-linear process. So at times even you, who are so
sensitive to the problem, write (p 429)vis a vis Drillien's work  "Third,
to understand the way the way context influences proximal
processes.........

Influence reads here to me like a cause, or a contributing cause.

I wrote this in 1996 (referring the version of concentric circles diagram
we were using at the time):

This image is probably best known in connection with Bronfenbrenner's
(1979) monograph on the ecology of human development. He describes embedded
systems, starting with the microsystem at the core and proceeding outward
through meso- and exosystems, to the macrosystem. In applying the notion of
context to issues of education, Cole & Griffin (1987) took as the "unit in
the middle" to be a teacher‑pupil exchange that was part of a lesson that
was part of a classroom that was part of school, that was part of a
community.

The study of language is an important domain in which the promise and
problems of the idea of "layers of context" has been usefully applied
(Bateson, 1972; Jackobsen and Halle, 1956). A fundamental property of
language is that its levels of organization are mutually constituted; a
phoneme exists as such only in combination with other phonemes which make
up a word.  The word is the context of the phoneme.  But the word only
exists as such‑‑only "has meaning"‑‑in the larger context of the utterance,
which again "has meaning" only in a relationship to a large unit of
discourse. Bateson summarizes this way of thinking in his remark that

This hierarchy of contexts within contexts is universal for the
communicational . . . aspect of phenomena and drives the scientist always
to seek explanation in the ever larger units (1972, p. 402).

Note that in this description there is no simple, temporal, ordering. "That
which surrounds" occurs before, after, and simultaneously with the
"act/event" in question. We cannot say sentences before we say words, nor
words before synthesizing phonemes in an appropriate way; rather, there is
a complex temporal interdependence among levels of context which motivates
the notion that levels of context constitute each other.

To take our example of the teacher-child exchange, it is easy to see such
events as "caused" by higher levels of context: a teacher give a lesson,
which is shaped by the classroom it is a part of, which in turn is shaped
by the kind of school it is in, which in turn is shaped by the community,
etc.

While more inclusive levels of context may constrain lower levels, they do
not cause them in a uni-linear fashion. For the event "a lesson" to occur,
the participants must actively engage in a consensual process of "lesson
making." Teachers often vary considerably in the way they interpret the
conventions of the school, and school communities participate in the
selection of the board of education. Without forgetting for a moment that
the power relations among participants “at different levels of context” are
often unequal, it is no less important when using the nested contexts
approach to take into account the fact that context creation is an actively
achieved, two-sided process (See Durante and Goodwin (1992), Lave (1993),
and McDermott (1993) for trenchant criticisms of context treated as the
container of objects and behaviors). (p. 134 cultural psych)

On p. 358 in the notes (which I do not have a word version of, so can only
point here) there is a passage quoting p. 462 of *Steps* where Bateson says
that while thinking relationaly is essential, he is incapable of it on a
daily basis.  "I still think,

"Gregory Bateson is cutting down a tree. *I *am cutting down a tree." ...he
then goes on to say he can intellectualize it, but

not engage in it as a part of everyday practice.....

Tough problem.

With regard to Pepper and Vygotsky.

Firstly, I think it is problematic to categorize Vygotsky as a
contextualist as you/Pepper define the concept. Natalia Gajamaschko and I
wrote about this and I can send to anyone interested in pursuing that part
of the tangle. But more recently, a young Iranian scholar has published on
this topic with a commentary by Anna Stetsenko who has been known on xmca
for her work on transformative agency and deep knowledge of
cultural-historical theorizing.

I attach those recent discussions for those for whoever here is interested
in this tread. My own view is that LSV's theory is a hybrid of
contextualism and organicism (interweaving of phylogeny, cultural history,
ontogeny). Pepper identifies such hybridizing as anethema to clear
thinking, but I seem to have fallen irretrievably, into that way of
thinking.

Lots more of potential topics,

someone else's turn!
Mike