[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Text

Jonathan Tudge jrtudge@uncg.edu
Mon Jan 29 11:10:53 PST 2018

Greetings, Mike, XMCA folk, Jean, and Ray,

I think, Mike, that you captured what I was trying to get at quite well.

I'm attaching one paper that probably does the best job of getting at the
relation between activity and context, though it of course wasn't our main
focus when writing it.  Most of the paper can safely be ignored, I think,
in that our aim was to assess the extent to which scholars were
appropriately using the mature version of Bronfenbrenner's theory, but in
the initial part we explain why the theory is contextualist rather than
mechanist (using Pepper's [1942] meanings of these two terms).  As such,
neither person characteristics nor context are separate from activities
(proximal processes) but, to use Ray's language, interwoven.  Better yet,
from my point of view, what results are emergent properties that can't be
broken down into "person" or "activity" or "context" elements.

I think that it's in large part because of the concentric rings that
Bronfenbrenner is still routinely thought of as a mechanist, who believed
that context (in its varying layers) determined a person's development.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Thinking about the Fifth Dimension (which you must have been just starting
when I was with you as a predoctoral intern 35 years ago!!!!!) in terms of
Bronfenbrenner's systems, I'd be interested in how the students'
participation in it is influenced by their experiences in their school and
home contexts (a mesosystem analysis) and by the broader culture
(macrosystem) that has a notion of schooling that doesn't involve the types
of activities that are encouraged in the Dimension (at least in the US at
the given historical period).  But to understand the types of activities
that routinely occur within the Fifth Dimension (and which I think would
get progressively more complex over time) it would be just as important to
focus on at least some of the relevant person characteristics (age, gender,
motivation, persistence, past experiences with learning, etc. etc.) of both
the students and the adults who are working together.

Cheers,

Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jonathan Tudge

Professor
Office: 155 Stone

Our work on gratitude: http://morethanthanks.wp.uncg.edu/

A new book just published: Tudge, J. & Freitas, L. (Eds.) Developing
gratitude in children and adolescents
<https://www.uncg.edu/hdf/faculty/tudge/books/dev-gratitude-in-children-and-adolescents-flyer.pdf>,
Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press

My web site:http://www.uncg.edu/hdf/faculty/tudge

Mailing address:
248 Stone Building
Department of Human Development and Family Studies
PO Box 26170
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
USA

phone (336) 223-6181
fax   (336) 334-5076