[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Text

Jonathan Tudge jrtudge@uncg.edu
Mon Jan 29 07:24:56 PST 2018

Hi, Mike,

There are a couple of problems with the 2005 book.  One is that the papers
are drawn from UB's writings from the 1970s to the early part of this
century.  As is true of Vygotsky's writings (and probably any theorist who
wrote over a significant span of time) it's really important to know the
date of publication.  The other problem is that at least one of the
chapters is incomplete, and there are errors in at least one other.

As for the concentric circles or the matrioshka--they're both excellent
examples of how powerful metaphors can go powerfully wrong!  Both are
utterly misleading, in that they really focus attention on the different
layers of context (and even then don't make sense--the mesosystem consists
of overlapping circles, as in a Venn diagram).  Nonetheless, you're
right--UB continued to use the metaphor in his final publications.

However, his theory really developed a lot from the 1970s onwards (see Rosa
and Tudge, 2013; Tudge, 2013), and from the early 1990s onwards "proximal
processes" were the centerpiece of his Process-Person-Context-Time (PPCT)
model.  These are essentially the everyday activities in which developing
people engage, and they always and only occur in microsystems.  However,
what goes on in microsystems is always influenced by (a) the person
characteristics of the developing individuals of interest and those of the
others with whom they interact, (b) the characteristics of the context,
both proximal (as in the nature of the microsystem in which those
activities are occurring) and distal (the macrosystem, which for him was
culture, whether considered at the level of society or within-society
cultural groups), and (c) time, which includes both the need to study over
time (longitudinally) and in time (the prevailing social, economic, and
political climate).    A graphic representation that better reflects his
developed position than the concentric circles can be found in Tudge
(2008), on page 69.

I actually think that he rather dropped the ball on culture,
unfortunately.  I really like his writings on this in his 1979 book and in
his 1989 (or 1992) chapter on ecological systems theory.  Reading his 1998
(or 2006) handbook chapters you'll find virtually no mention of the impact
of culture (or macrosystem) despite drawing on Steinberg et al.'s research
on adolescents from different racial/ethnic groups.

Don't feel bad, though, if you have always just thought of Bronfenbrenner's
theory as one of concentric circles of context--you're no different in that
regard from just about everyone who has published an undergrad textbook on
human development, not to mention a majority of scholars who have said that
they've used UB's theory as foundational for their research (see Tudge et
al., 2009, 2016).

If anyone would like a copy of any of these papers, just send me a private
message to jrtudge@uncg.edu

   - Tudge, J. R. H. (2008). *The everyday lives of young children:
   Culture, class, and child rearing in diverse societies.* New York:
   Cambridge University Press.
   - Tudge, J. R. H., Mokrova, I., Hatfield, B., & Karnik, R. B. (2009).
   Uses and misuses of Bronfenbrenner’s bioecological theory of human
   development. *Journal of Family Theory and Review, 1*(4), 198-210.
   - Rosa, E. M., & Tudge, J. R. H. (2013). Urie Bronfenbrenner’s theory of
   human development: Its evolution from ecology to bioecology. *Journal of
   Family Theory and Review, 5*(6), 243–258. DOI:10.1111/jftr.12022
   - Tudge, J. R. H. (2013). Urie Bronfenbrenner. In Heather Montgomery
   (Ed.), *Oxford bibliographies on line: Childhood studies*. New York:
   Oxford University Press.
   - Tudge, J. R. H., Payir, A., Merçon-Vargas, E. A., Cao, H., Liang, Y.,
   Li, J., & O’Brien, L. T. (2016). Still misused after all these years? A
   re-evaluation of the uses of Bronfenbrenner’s bioecological theory of human
   development. *Journal of Family Theory and Review*, *8,* 427–445. doi:
   10.1111/jftr.12165.

Cheers,

Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jonathan Tudge

Professor
Office: 155 Stone

Our work on gratitude: http://morethanthanks.wp.uncg.edu/

A new book just published: Tudge, J. & Freitas, L. (Eds.) Developing
gratitude in children and adolescents
<https://www.uncg.edu/hdf/faculty/tudge/books/dev-gratitude-in-children-and-adolescents-flyer.pdf>,
Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press

My web site:http://www.uncg.edu/hdf/faculty/tudge

Mailing address:
248 Stone Building
Department of Human Development and Family Studies
PO Box 26170
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
USA

phone (336) 223-6181
fax   (336) 334-5076