[Xmca-l] Re: social / societal

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 06:08:52 PST 2018

Andy,
but you can hear this phrase as saying that Ricardo looked at the social
structure, not Marx ... Marx is writing how Ricardo approached the problem,
not he himself. The paragraph is about distribution (I am looking at the
phrase in MEW42), and the preceding one begins with a statement about
societies. In the paragraph before, Marx writes about societal law, and
societal distribution (MEW42, p.31). So I would not say that Marx writes
about structure as social---it is societal, and all the surrounding text
makes it such.

But of course, you know that we are all struggling with the use of
language, especially when we are trying to move to different discursive
forms, and when the old ones still show up so that there are
inconsistencies in what we articulate.

Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor

Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*