[Xmca-l] Re: Hi

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 13:09:58 PST 2018

Joao, Alfredo--

We tend to think of Vygotsky as a psychologist, or an educationalist, or
even a developmentalist, and of course he was all of those things. But one
of the problems with reading Vygotsky is that he saw himself, and others
saw him, principally as a practitioner in three professions that no longer
exist, and in order to see Vygotsky as he saw hiimself and as others saw
him we really have to reinvent them. I think all three of those no longer
existing professions have to do with aging.

The first is, of course, defectology, which studies not only children
with "circuitous and non-direct forms of development" (that was Vygotsky's
formulation and main interest) but also geriatrics and dementia. So for
example Vygotsky begins his essay on imagination in the adolescent with
examples of advanced Parkinson's patients from a clinic that Cassirer
visited in Frankfurt.

The second is pedology. As Alfredo says, this is concerned with the
"Problem of Age", and the limitation of its domain is the main source of
the disagreement between Wolff-Michael and myself. Embryos grow and do not
learn. Adults learn and don't grow. I think pedology is restricted to human
beings who are growing and learning at one and the same time, because
development is essentially the interaction between the two.

But the third is hardly ever mentioned. Vygotsky was involved, particularly
towards the end of his life, with something called "psychotechnics", which
doesn't exist for us simply because it cannot. It was the science of
providing jobs for young adults. When my wife was going to school, this was
a major concern for the Chinese government: the idea was "yi ge luobo, yi
ge kang" (that is, one radish sprout for one hole): each person who
graduates from college has a lifetime position in a planned economy.
Needless to say, this is no longer a concern for the Chinese state. I
remember when the dean announced that the "fen pei" system of
psychotechnics was being abolished and our graduates were told to look for
their own jobs. Not everybody cheered, and for good reason.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full