[Xmca-l] Re: On the difference between the social and the societal

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Jan 11 06:22:28 PST 2018

Michael, I studied Marx from 1968 on, but I never learnt the
word "societal" until the 2000s, on this list actually. I
thought it was just an academic pretension, but someone
explained to me the distinction intended. 40 years of
studying Marx before hearing the word "societal" does *not*
mean I never understood Marx. Really! German, like English,
has plenty of words which are used with a number of
different meanings, with varying degrees of difference.
Should I claim that German-speakers do not understand the
meaning of "Gestalt" because in German "Gestalt" has the
same meaning as "form" in English? "Gestalt" has a clear
meaning, not to be confused with "Form" in every language
except German.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm