[Xmca-l] Deficit linguistics

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 11:41:12 PST 2018

David (Kellogg),
In a previous post, you wrote:
"The existence or non-existence of semantic variation is the key issue
which divided Hasan and Labov, and without it we cannot really make sense
of the debate over "deficit linguistics" which appears briefly in the lchc
polyphonic autobiography."

I wonder if you might be willing to expand on this a bit (perhaps in all
directions - help us understand its role in the lchc autobio as well as
with Hasan and Labov as well as how you make sense of it). I find it to be
an important and really complex issue and I'd love to hear others' takes on
it.

Cheers,
Greg

--